Friday, April 12, 2013

Okami Chapter 23: How Do We Breathe Underwater?

Hello, readers, and welcome to yet another blog post about Okami. In today's post, our intrepid heroes finally find the mysterious Whirlpool and stumble their way into the Dragonian Domain, where a horrible quest awaits. Read on for the excitement!

So, when I left off, we had just discovered the Catwalk talent.  Being the geniuses we were, we immediately jumped on Orca for a while and swam around in the ocean fruitlessly looking for the whirlpool, because we'd forgotten the whole point of learning Catwalk. So, eventually we came to our senses and remembered a cat statue at the bottom of a nearby cliff we hadn't visited because the stairs leading up to it had long since crumbled away. Here's a blurry picture of us climbing the cliff wall.



When we got up to the top, we had to fight this scary guy.

I couldn't remember how to kill him, but a couple of well-placed Cherry Bombs did the trick well enough. And then we found this guy!


Watcher's Cape? And you're the Watcher? What an original name.


How...interesting. Is that why the stairs fell apart and nobody fixed them?


Okay, so...where are you going with this?



Whirlpool galaxy? My ears just perked up.


NO, REALLY?


I see. So where is this Whirlpool Galaxy now? And don't say, "A place far, far away."


OH NOES!


Sorry about the blurriness. I guess we're going to have to do something about all those monsters, huh?


How sad. What can we do to help?


If your wish is for the Vikings to finally win the Super Bowl, I'm afraid I can't help you...



GASP! I CAN DO THAT! PICK ME PICK ME!


I CAN TOTALLY DO THAT! HOLD ON A SECOND!


STOP TALKING SO I CAN WORK MY ART!


ARE YOU DEAF?


Okay, and...DINK!

I made a shooting star, but the picture of it didn't turn out very well.


Where could that have possibly come from?


Wish away, dude!


Sorry for the blurriness. Sometimes I just get so excited when I'm working my miracles!

And to no one's everyone's surprise...


The Whirlpool Galaxy! Uh...what do we do now?


I just noticed the Watcher has stars all over his tunic, or whatever that is he's wearing. Interesting...

Once we were done talking to the Watcher, we decided to run down to the tip of Watcher's Cape, since apparently that's where the magic happens.



Spins?


Ohhhhhhh. I get it now.


Shut up, Issun.


Looks more like a blanket from this angle.



Windmill? Where are you getting this stuff?



They who? Why didn't you mention this before?


That's not very helpful!



Of course it does. The galaxy isn't spinning yet...





And then the game left off with a view to the Whirlpool Galaxy that, while beautiful, didn't really offer any answers.


Fortunately, I'm good at using Galestorm.



I really should have taken a video for this part...but when I used Galestorm, the galaxy started spinning, and every time I did it again the galaxy spun faster.













And eventually...


Whirlpool!


Yay! We figured out the puzzle!



You said it!

So we went and found Orca (the sun had come up by the time we found him). Here's a blurry picture of us swimming into the whirlpool.


I'd have been more worried about the whole SWIMMING RIGHT INTO A WHIRLPOOL thing, but nobody else seemed to care.


Wheeeee!

Wait! The Dragon Palace is underwater. How are we going to breathe?


See? It's underwater. Won't we drown?



I guess not. Weird.

It's a pretty place, though. But before we could really enjoy it, we were rudely interrupted.


Hey! Who are you calling a beast?!



I'm here to kick your ass!


Screw you!


Yeah! Don't you know you're talking to a goddess?



You're just lucky he hasn't eaten you so far!




He did tell them who we were, though, and that Queen Himiko had sent us.


How many Himikos do you know of?


Stop calling me a beast!


That's more like it.

So we went into the Dragon Palace, which looked suspiciously familiar...


Isn't this basically the Sparrow Inn all over again?

Well, whatever. We've got a queen to talk to.


I could have sworn it was an inn!


Yeah, I kinda figured that out. I'll let Issun cut to the chase for me.


Whoa. You might want to scale it back a little bit.



Whoa whoa whoa! We're looking for righteous indignation here, not suicidal idiocy!


Why are you the spokesman, again?


Any minute now Issun will realize how hot she is and fall over...


Maybe not. Well, at least he's being less of a jerk.


But he didn't stop there.


What's wrong with that?


I thought it was a mark of honor, myself...


That's not really an answer.


We got that. Say something new!


What a contrast to what it's doing now! Hahaha! Oh...that's not really funny.


Now Oni Island is coming into it again. What's the deal with that place, anyway?


Isn't that always the way?


Yeah! Go, Water Dragon! Eat all those eels!


Yeah! Rout those forces!



Dark Lord? That's a new one. Why haven't we heard of him before?



Uh oh. Then what?


...Oh.



That's not good at all.


Now I feel bad for saying mean things about the Water Dragon.

Wait. He tried to eat us! Twice! Screw the Water Dragon!


Screw him and his uncontrollable rage!



...Oh.


Well, that's fun.



And I'm pretty sure we can't just break it ourselves!


Wait. I think I know where this is going...



If you break out in a, "MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!" I'm going to be so pissed...


Long and hard, eh? That sounds like a- wait, we don't really have time for that now.



Is it time to give up yet?


I know exactly how we could do it, too.


Just curl up in a ball on the ground and cry unto the heavens, "DAMN YOU, TIKI IDOL!"

Actually, I don't think that would help our cause at all. Okay, carry on.


So what are we supposed to do, then?


Well, what are you waiting for? Spill the beans!



Oh, right. The thing I saw coming.


DAMMIT!


No way. There is no way I'm putting a leash around that thing's neck-


Yeah! Because that would be totally crazy! I'm not getting eaten again!


If it has anything to do with leashing dragons, I'm out!


...Okay. What does that mean?


OH NO WAY NO HOW LADY


THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY YOU CAN CONVINCE ME TO DO THAT


STOP TRYING TO TALK ME INTO YOUR FOOL'S ERRAND


THERE IS NO WAY I'M - Wait, what?



You can break through the barrier? Wait. GAPING JAWS?


Well, I really, really don't want to, but...


It's pretty much our only option, isn't it?


My sentiments exactly. For once we agree on something!


Well, when you put it like that...


SHUT UP! YOU RUINED IT NOW!

Well, whatever. We'll do your fool's errand, lady. But if we get eaten, it's your fault!



Don't be too grateful. I might change my mind!


Oh, goody.


With this I can do all sorts of wondrous things.


Why am I not surprised by that?

And if it was that easy, why don't you send one of your lackeys to do this?


What makes us any different?!



You might be the only one who does...

So we headed out of the throne room to do our dirty deed. But first, Issun had to yell at me.


Relax, Issun. We're probably going to die, but it'll be okay.


There's the spirit.


Truly the attitude of a go-getter.

And that brings today's post to a close, unfortunately. Check back next time for our adventures inside the Water Dragon! Ugh. That sounded kinda dirty. Oh well.

Until next time, heroes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that game is going to kill me more than once whenever I get a fresh chance at it. Sounds like you're plugging along and kicking butt, though! Huzzah! :) - Brandi