Friday, July 1, 2011

Well, it's been a long time...

It appears that I haven't posted on this blog in almost three years. Well, all that time has passed and I finally have something new to post.

Recently I decided to play through The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker again after not playing it for about five years. I almost immediately started thinking about using my blog to chronicle my progress, but figured it would be too much work. But then I changed my mind, so here I am. I'm going to try to post three times a week or so and provide commentary on various games I play.

In no particular order, here are the games I intend to play and/or re-play over the course of the summer (and probably longer):

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (maybe, if my disc version isn't too glitchy)
Okami
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Deadly Creatures
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
World of Warcraft (heh)
Portal 2
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
The Sims 3: Generations (and all previous expansions)
The Sims Medieval
Possibly some Dragon Age: Origins/Dragon Age 2 if I really want to torture myself. I've already played through Origins 3 times and Dragon Age 2 4 1/2 times, so...yeah.

This, uh...this is going to take a long time. Especially since I work full-time and can't always use the TV for Wii-playing when I have free time.

Okay, anyway, I've already started on Wind Waker. So, here's my first commentary.

I've more-or-less talked about most of my progress through my posts on Facebook, but here's a quick recap. I beat three dungeons (without a player's guide! yeah!), got the Master Sword, learned the Ballad of Gales, took a lot of pictographs of various people (including everyone on Windfall Island, which was incredibly tedious) and, with this post, was about to get started on the buildup to the Earth Temple.

The first thing I had to do was get the Power Bracelets so I could get into the temple. Unfortunately, looking at the TV was putting me into a fatigue-related haze, and in my befuddled state, I couldn't remember what I was supposed to do first. So, I (when I refer to myself as I, I'm generally referring to the character I'm playing) dragged myself over to the King of Red Lions and warped up to Dragon Roost Island.



















When I got there, I was greeted by the sounds of Medli strumming her harp over and over, which never gets old when the harp sounds don't match the background music at all and never stop. 'Aha!' I thought to myself. 'I was supposed to go here first!' So I stumbled my way up to Medli's little perch up on top of the island, and...nothing happened. I talked to her, she mentioned how her harp somehow foretold her destiny, or could do amazing party tricks, or something, and I wandered off feeling like a moron.



















I decided to sail to Fire Island and see if I could get the Power Bracelets. But when I got inside, I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. There was nothing there except a couple of Magtails slithering around, along with a Headstone and some kind of archway. I can only conclude that my exhausted stupor was what prevented me from figuring out the obvious solution to the puzzle, and I decided to go to Headstone Island and try to figure out if I was supposed to go there first. But, again, there was nothing there for me to find (other than the Piece of Heart I grabbed after I used a Hyoi Pear to control a seagull).

Frustrated, I went back to Dragon Roost Island to show Medli the Wind Waker baton in hopes that something interesting would happen. She recognized it for what it was and wanted me to play a song for her, but none of the songs I knew did anything, so I knew I had to find the Earth God's Lyric in order to be able to accomplish anything.

Feeling even more foolish than before, I went back to Fire Island.



















Like an idiot, I wandered around inside the island some more and accidentally killed one of the Magtails. Idly, I decided to kill the other Magtail. Bingo! The chest containing the Power Bracelets appeared, and I felt shameful for completely failing to recognize one of the most basic Zelda gameplay traditions ever created.



















With the Power Bracelets finally obtained, I was on my way back to Headstone Island to learn the Earth God's Lyric and then back to Windfall Island to talk to Medli. After I learned the new song, there was a nice little cutscene featuring Laruto. I found myself wondering just how the Zoras managed to go from humanoid mostly-fish people to humanoid mostly-human-with-bird-noses-and-wings people.






































So anyway, blah blah, I went back to Dragon Roost Island again and taught Medli the Earth God's Lyric. This was also one of my favorite parts of the game - sneaking away without saying goodbye to the prince was so sad! Plus the music was so good.

So Medli and I made our way back to Headstone Island and opened the door. Unfortunately, the sleepy stupor I was in the entire time I was playing only got worse when we walked into the temple. I couldn't imagine actually trying to beat a whole dungeon...so I end here for now.

No comments: